"To maintain at all times a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police. The police being only members of the public that are paid to give full -time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence." Sir Robert Peel, Circa: 1829
Our volunteers come from a wide variety of backgrounds and demographics. The program offers volunteer opportunities during the week, evenings on Friday and Saturday nights and the occasional weekend. Each volunteer has a different reason, or combination of reasons, supporting their desire to volunteer their time, talent and energy with the RCMP.
The purpose of the Nanaimo RCMP Community Policing volunteer program is to strengthen community and police partnerships by educating, engaging and empowering volunteers to support and assist the Nanaimo RCMP in the safe and effective delivery of authorized crime reduction and prevention activities.
The Nanaimo RCMP Volunteer Program and activities will:
- contribute to the policing priorities set out by the Nanaimo RCMP Detachment.
- provide a safe work environment so all volunteers can carry out their assigned tasks competently and safely.
- be progressive, proactive, and innovative in the delivery of the program and volunteer activities.
- offer effective services and activities that appeal to a wide range of volunteers.
- recognize volunteers for their time and commitment.
- promote the volunteer program within the community in order to maintain a well resourced program.
- empower volunteers with the knowledge and insight into policing activities and challenges so they become ambassadors for the Nanaimo RCMP Detachment and its members.
The Nanaimo RCMP Volunteer Program respects and is guided by the values established by the RCMP. These values are: