Nanaimo RCMP Community Policing Program
The Nanaimo RCMP Community Policing Volunteer Program is a joint effort between the City of Nanaimo and the Nanaimo RCMP and supports a broad range of community-based crime prevention programs and community policing initiatives within the City of Nanaimo. The purpose of this program is to encourage the community to become involved in crime prevention and crime reduction programs. An effective strategy for building community safety is one where citizens play a key role in contributing to safety and community development in partnership with the police and other social service agencies.
News & Updates
Volunteers reflect on the past year: S. Cameron, long time volunteer: “Twelve years ago, when I first became a volunteer with Community Policing, some aspects of the job were disheartening. Verbal outbursts in the negative with the accompanying ‘finger’ from…
Did you Know? From February 1, 2020 to February 1, 2021 there were 785 calls to Nanaimo RCMP because of domestic conflict or violence in the home. 495 of these instances of domestic conflict included Mischief (damage to property), Criminal…
We thank our volunteers for bringing the Power each and every day to the City of Nanaimo. Please read a submission by one of our own, Wes Lazaroff, on his thoughts about volunteering. So many sit back, watch and talk…
Mounties wants to hear from you about crime in your neighbourhoods The Nanaimo RCMP in partnership with the City of Nanaimo will be conducting Safety Audits in selected neighbourhoods throughout Nanaimo. Safety Audits have been utilized in many cities throughout…
The purpose of the Nanaimo RCMP Community Policing Volunteer Program is to strengthen community and police partnerships by educating, engaging and empowering volunteers to support and assist the City of Nanaimo and the Nanaimo RCMP in the safe and effective delivery of authorized crime reduction and prevention activities. The overall aim of the program is to enhance the general safety in the City of Nanaimo for all its citizens.
The Nanaimo RCMP Community Policing Volunteer Program respects and is guided by the values established by the RCMP. These values are:
The Nanaimo RCMP Community Policing Volunteer Program and activities will:
- contribute to the community safety priorities set out by the City of Nanaimo.
- contribute to the policing priorities set out by the Nanaimo RCMP Detachment.
- offer effective programming that’s evidence based in order to promote community safety and positive community development.
- be progressive, proactive, and innovative in the delivery of the program and volunteer activities.
- provide a safe work environment so all volunteers can carry out their assigned tasks competently and safely.
- offer effective services and activities that appeal to a wide range of volunteers.
- recognize volunteers for their time and commitment.
- promote the volunteers and the program activities within the community in order to maintain a well resourced program.
- empower volunteers with the knowledge and insight into policing and community safety activities and challenges so they become ambassadors for the City of Nanaimo and the Nanaimo RCMP.