"To maintain at all times a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police. The police being only members of the public that are paid to give full -time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence." Sir Robert Peel, Circa: 1829
The purpose of the Nanaimo RCMP Community Policing volunteer program is to strengthen community and police partnerships by providing an opportunity for citizen volunteers to support and assist the Nanaimo RCMP in the safe and effective delivery of authorized crime prevention and reduction services and activities.
The Nanaimo RCMP Detachment has a long history with dedicated crime prevention volunteers in the community. Volunteers have been the "eyes and the ears" of the police for the past 20+ years.
To support and assist the Nanaimo RCMP in the safe and effective delivery of authorized crime prevention and reduction services and activities.
The Nanaimo RCMP Volunteer Program and activities will:
- Contribute to the policing priorities set out by the Nanaimo RCMP Detachment.
- Provide a safe work environment so all volunteers can carry out their assigned tasks competently and safely.
- Be progressive, proactive, and innovative in the delivery of the program and volunteer activities.
- Offer effective services and activities that appeal to a wide range of volunteers.
- Recognized volunteers for their time and commitment.
- Promote the volunteer program within the community in order to maintain a well resourced program.
- Empower volunteers with the knowledge and insight into policing activities and challenges so they become ambassadors for the Nanaimo RCMP Detachment and its members.
The Nanaimo RCMP Volunteer Program respects and is guided by the values established by the RCMP and the City of Nanaimo. These values are: